A certified life coach applies myriad techniques and approaches to support the client looking for the right direction in life. The key role is to help an individual evoke a positive attitude from within.
One of the most popular approaches that are quite prevalent among life coaches is NLP or Neuro-Linguistic Programming. If you are getting trained as a life coach, it works best if you get an added NLP certification.
Being an NLP certified coach gives you an added benefit and helps you understand the client and his/her issues better.
In this blog, we will get you acquainted with NLP and what it entails for life coaching.
What is Neuro-Linguistic Programming?
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) dates back to the 1970s when it was first developed at the University of California, Santa Cruz by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. (Source: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/00003319.htm&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1584641183377000&usg=AFQjCNH632QXOTkU0aYM7zszuxPL-L1qRQ ) Today, it is being widely used by life coaches all over the world, as a more holistic approach towards supporting the clients.
NLP is a process of transforming one’s thought process and behavioral pattern to aid in achieving desired or targeted outcomes for the individual. It uses perceptual and communication methods, making it easy for an individual to alter their thought process and actions. It is widely used to support people who have phobia syndromes, or have gone through a traumatic experience and likewise. (Source: https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320368&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1584641667352000&usg=AFQjCNHE2C9huk3EmjL_smy-d-TYOCCXgA )
How are NLP Courses Relevant for Life Coaches?
There are a series of exercises and procedures involved in Neuro-Linguistic Programming that coaches can implement in their practice to generate a positive outcome in the clients.
NLP is based on several principles that are utilized by the life coaches. A certified professional Life Coach may use it in the following ways:
- The coach will make the client understand and believe that no matter what kind of behavior they have, it is susceptible to change.
- A life coach uses NLP to make the client believe that (s)he already possesses everything that is needed for success. All they got to do is believe in themselves and their potential.
- Using the techniques of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, a coach aids the client to unlock the potential within.
- Coaches are also known to use NLP to enhance the communication skills of the client. Communication is the key to success in this modern world. Often bad communication becomes the sole hurdle in the path of success. It’s the insecurities in the mind of an individual that create blocks in smooth communication. Used properly, NLP can help an individual overcome that.
- More than often, the root cause of one’s problems is the lack of control over life. NLP techniques instill that confidence enabling one to take charge of their life.
Getting an NLP certification online from an ICF accredited institute augments the career and reputation of a life coach, not to mention helps them in navigating the mind of the client better.